BOC; Clubs Gradually

jean l delacour delacour at UNM.EDU
Wed Aug 28 19:12:11 EDT 1996

  Regarding the subject of WHEN BOC began playing clubs again, it was act-
ually a gradual decline, if you will, to that level.

HEYDAY;

  First of all, let us remember that BOC, even at the height of their pop-
ularity, would play a few club shows here and there.  These shows served
several purposes.  For example, new material would be tried out at these
club shows and they would also serve (as someone else stated) as a fine-
tuning for an upcoming tour or special festival-type appearance (see Bolle's
tape list re; Donnington "81 to see what I mean).  Furthermore, BOC would
play club shows because they were fun to do and broke up the monotony of the
big arena gigs.  Listen to the SWU show of SF '80 to see what I mean.  SWU
shows gave the band the opportunity to do rare and early stuff as well as to
get away from the "hits" a little bit.

DECLINING;

  BOC really began touring as a club band in 1985 to break in Tommy Zvoncheck
and Jimmy Wilcox.  Furthermore, they had not had a new record out in 2 years
(a 1st in BOC history), so there wasn't any new product to promote.

A LITTLE MORE SUCESS?

  In 1986 (85 in Europe) BOC released the critically acclaimed " Club
Ninja " (just joking!!!) and did a "disasterous" tour of Europe.  By the
time the band began their tour of the US (March '86) Joe had left the band
and sales were brisk but not outstanding.  Here, in the Spring of 1986, BOC
were forced to be the opening band for Ozzy, Kiss, and Rush.  They did some
shows on their own in clubs and festivals, but then decided to call it quits
in September of 1986.

1987 TO PRESENT:

  In 1987, BOC reformed with Allen and went on tour in Europe.  After that
tour they pretty much have been playing clubs, package tours
(Total Recall Tour 1993 with Nazareth, Uriah Heep & Wishbone Ash), and many
festivals throughout the years as headliners, special guests or openers.

CLOSING:

  In closing, it is my opinion from conversations with the band and those
close to them that BOC pretty much seem content with their status at the
present.  They basically tour when THEY want to and as long as mgmt keeps
them happy with the financial aspect of it all.  They could have done a full
ampitheater tour this summer with Kansas/Styx, but it was their choice to
just do a few of those.  They love playing clubs because they pack 'em in
and they get paid what they want, ect.  The thorne on the side of BOC is,
of course, getting a new CD of new material out to the masses.

  Hope this was of help to everyone.  If not, thank you for letting me in-
dulge in a bit of your time.  As always, it was fun.

  God bless...

Manuel &

Jean Delacour
University of New Mexico