BOC: Clubs vs. Arenas

Craig A. Shipley craigs at PYRAMID.COM
Wed Aug 28 21:38:57 EDT 1996

Well, when I saw 'em back up there in Maryland in the mid-70's, they were
packing 'em in at the (USAir) Capitol Center. Dunno the seating capacity,
but this was the venue that most of the major bands performed at (this was
before the days when JFK Stadium became _the_  place for major acts
(i.e. the Dead, Who, Broooce!, Floyd, etc.) to perform. May have had something to do with a more impressive sold-out performance figure...).

Besides BOC, saw the Stones, Black Sabbath, ELP, Yes,  Zappa, Traffic,
Floyd and a number of others there (yeah, I was at the '76 BOC show that
the recording was made from! I'm about 6 rows back from the front of the
stage, directly in front of the stage right speaker bank! My ears didn't settle
down for about two weeks).

Seating capacity could vary, depending on who was performing. Yes did their "concert in the round" there, so there were no "bad seats" (i.e. directly behind the stage). This, of course, would vary the number of total seats available for a performance. Anyone know the average seating capacity for the Cap Center?

Craig Shipley
craigs at pyramid.com

----------
From:   John A Swartz[SMTP:jswartz at MBUNIX.MITRE.ORG]
Sent:   Wednesday, August 28, 1996 2:30 PM
To:     Multiple recipients of list BOC-L
Subject:        Re: BOC: Clubs vs. Arenas

Well, my recollection is that from around '75 to '82, BOC headlined
at most of the major venues, or at least places that (in my estimation)
seated around 10-15 thousand.  Rankin' up there with some of the other
major acts of the day (The Who, The Stones, etc.) might be a bit of a
stretch - although my guess is BOC played in alot of the same venues,
but for one show as oppossed to 2 or 3.

Perhaps Albert could give us a better idea of what size halls/crowds
BOC played to on a regular basis during their heyday (haven't heard
much from him these days - busy mixing?).

John