OFF: win.dat (was Re: HW : Name)

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Wed Aug 28 22:19:45 EDT 1996

On Wed, 28 Aug 1996, Craig A. Shipley wrote:

> decreased. I do occasionally use my old ELM system, and when I view the =
> messages that I've sent from the PC on the UNIX box, I see all the =
> "garbage"
> that Exchange converts to pretty colors and fonts 'n such. So, for those =
> of you that use an older, less sophisticated e-mail package, this is =
> where most of your problems are coming from, us bums with sophisticated =
> toys!                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  ^^^^
I prefer to think of this as "us bums with mailers that operate in
brain-dead, arrogant ways."

(Elm, Pine, et al handle Internet mail just fine and dandy, but they are
not arrogant enough to assume that everyone will be using the same mail
reader as themselves and append an application-specific attachment of the
message on the off-chance.  Maybe Micro$oft think their programs deserve
to waste bandwidth with impunity?)

Cheers,

Paul.

obCD: Hawkwind, _Space Ritual_ (remastered)

e-mail: paul at csgrad.cs.vt.edu                    A stranger in a strange land.