OFF: win.dat (was Re: HW : Name)

Jerry Guizar jguizar at EPIX.NET
Thu Aug 29 10:43:21 EDT 1996

In <01BB952B.57144860 at dynamic-13.async.pyramid.com>, on 08/28/96 at 09:52
PM,
   "Craig A. Shipley" <craigs at PYRAMID.COM> said:

>Well, up until about two months ago, I sent all of my mail via my UNIX
>system, using ELM as my mailer. Then, after a corporate decision to send
>all of us home (YES!) to telecommute, we were also supposed to use a mail
>package on our PC's to send and receive our mail, 'cuz the new regiem
>dictated that they will send out org charts and such in various Windows
>formats (i.e. Word, Excel). So, along came Z-Mail and Exchange (shhh, I
>canned Z-Mail and use Exchange exclusively; it does the same thing as
>Z-mail and it is a free package with Win 95!) and my number of UNIX/ELM
>mail messages has decreased. I do occasionally use my old ELM system, and
>when I view the messages that I've sent from the PC on the UNIX box, I
>see all the "garbage" that Exchange converts to pretty colors and fonts
>'n such. So, for those of you that use an older, less sophisticated
>e-mail package, this is where most of your problems are coming from, us
>bums with sophisticated toys! So, if you see my e-mail with my old ASCII
>signature, that's me on the UNIX platform; otherwise, it's one of these
>dern PC's...

   Don't get me wrong - I'm not bitching (too much). I don't see the
attachments here. I'd rather see people using sophisticated toys that
support a standard like MIME that is pretty much platform independent than
one that requires the user to use Windows (or OS/2, UNIX, or a specific
mail program).

>'Nuff of this, time to toast some demons! (Final Doom, Plutonia
>Experiment is  LETHAL!)

   This isn't meant to be personal and I apologize if it seems that way.
I'm just getting some frustrations off my chest - I prefer the RFC way of
defining standards rather than have a company trying to make its' own de
facto standard thru its market presence.

Jerry

jguizar at epix.net