HW : Name

J Strobridge eset08 at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Fri Aug 30 17:31:27 EDT 1996

HERBERT119 at delphi.com writes:

> On 27-AUG-1996 04:41:51.7 BOC-L said to HERBERT119
>    >In message <01I8R4KH3H6A8YASTS at delphi.com>, HERBERT119 at DELPHI.COM writes
>    >>Definitely Nik. That is the schnozz that helped give HW their name...
>    >I find it hard to beieve that Hawkwind got their name from Nik's nose
>    >and the fact that he farted a lot. For a start weren't they called
>    >Hawkwind before Nik joined?
>
> I thought he was with "The Famous Cure" since '67??

I'll need to check this but I think there was Dharma Blues and then
'Famous Cure' and then Nik joined from 'Mobile Freakout'.   At some
point there was also 'Tent 67' which happened in Holland, I think, when
everyone was in the same place at around the same time in a large tent.
The details are a bit hazy now!   After that there was Group X and then
Hawkwind Zoo.

It's no more than a suspicion but I think that back in '67 Dave and the
others were a deal more interested in playing music and having a good
time than investigating esoteric writings - but I could be way wrong on
this and certainly Nik's early Sphynx is from that period.    I've always
thought of Bob Calvert as being the first person interested in that kind
of thing - but then didn't he and Nik grow up in the same town?

> I read two different scenarios:
>
> #1: Nik's nose and flatulance and...
> #2: Moorcock's "Hawkmoon" (Eternal Champion) character

I'm sure I remember Moorcock himself denying this.   Although he
dedicates one of his Hawkmoon books to Dave Brock (or was it Hawkwind?)
he said it was a later edition/printing and long after the band was
established.

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at tattoo.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk