HW: Rumours of wars

SKARSOL skarsol at EROLS.COM
Fri Aug 30 15:43:44 EDT 1996

J Strobridge wrote:
  If Alan left I have a sad feeling
> that this would be the end of Hawkwind the band.   From what I've heard,
> both Alan and Richard have been an essential influence and driving force
> behind the band's continuing to do tour gigs.   Alan has been totally
> committed to Hawkwind for longer even than he has been playing with
> the band and his departure would leave a void, not just of his bass
> playing, but of his total commitment towards a lifestyle (which is
> what playing full-time with a band must be) that would be impossible
> to fill.
>
> He seems to be a really nice, decent, calm, honest sort of guy.  I can't
> imagine what has gone wrong but I fervently hope that whatever it is can
> be sorted out.
>
> jill

hi jill!:)
firstly,i think its a load of crap about alan's leaving.
were it true,ron tree would most likely be the bassist.
but its not.(fingers crossed)

as for alan's dedication to the band:
alan practically learned to play bass for hawkwind,and certainly because of hawkwind.
this i heard directly from him on tour.
   alan bought doremi,and gave it a spin.he was dazzled by the bass lines in one of the
tunes(cant remember which).at this time he didnt know what the insrument was called.
   he rushed down to his local music store(instruments),with a recording of the song,
and to the proprietor excitedly asked "what's that instrument there?"
the guy told him it was called a bass guitar,and that was when alan decided to play
bass.alan was going to school to learn woodcarving,in which he did earn a degree,
but gave it up to play bass.his father was fit to be tied,but had a change of heart
on seeing his success with hw.
BTW- i met his family in ipswitch.all very nice people,and obviously excited to see
alan play.
i was in a sort of altered state (use yer imagination,thanks trevor),and this short
stocky blond guy walks up to me and blew what was left of my mind by asking me
if i really came all the way from usa to see hw.my wife karyn came to the rescue
and told me that this was duffy,alan's younger brother,who she'd already met.
ahh well,i'll sign off b4 i get even more boring.
obcd/gongs 25th birthday live discs.  outstanding!