HW: OVER CALVERT's DEAD BODY!!!!!

Hawkwind Star_rats at HAWKWIND.COM
Sun Dec 1 23:52:53 EST 1996

>I don't know.  Is there some place we could get a definitive answer
>regarding this copyright/credit issue?
>
>Also, do song credits refer to the lyrics or the music, or to both?

I'd like to put across one point of view having been down this road with
some of the bands I've played in and written for. Generally, anyone that
contributes to a song has a right to a credit, but they usually go to the
lyric writers and anyone that comes up with a large part or all of the
music. Also unless otherwise stated (i.e. Lyrics by Tim Rice, Music by A.L.
Webber), the credit applies to both music and lyrics.

If a vocalist comes up with a backing harmony to the lead vocal, they
wouldn't get a credit. If a bass played comes up with some words to the
chorus or a verse, they would, and rightly so. If however someone came up
with the lyrics and rough chords and the band expanded them into the
finished article, would the guy that came up with the main idea or the whole
band get the credit. My experience is that the band don't claim a credit
unless the writer deems it so is cases like that - kind of an unwritten rule.

I'd also like to point out that it is rarely the case that a musician can't
write for another instrument. In the case of Simon House, you can pretty
much take it for granted that the guy has a deep knowledge of music, knows
his way around a keyboard (and even if it just to arrange harmonies) and can
translate melodies he comes up with on the violin onto the guitar, bass, sax
or flute. The same can be said for many other musicians.

Also, Bob Calvert did play instruments, and as far as I know did write music
for his solo albums, Hawkwind and related projects. I've seen him work a
synth like you wouldn't believe!!

Star Rats