HW: RE: OVER CALVERT's DEAD BODY!!!!!

Christian Mumford christian.mumford at LOGIN.EUNET.NO
Mon Dec 2 03:41:56 EST 1996

>>Christian Mumford wrote:
>

>>> As for Calvert's case in particular, not only is he unable to do anything
>about
>>> it (being dead and all), and I find it extremely hypocritical to dedicate
>>> 'Future Reconstructions' to his memory when they are basically ripping off
>>> their dead friend at the same time!
>>
>>        I don't see how they're ripping him off. Do they credit him for the
>>songs he wrote on it? (That is if there are any he wrote on it). Surely
>>doing covers of his songs is a way of showing your appreciation of his
>>music?
>>
>>-Max Wilcox
>

>There are a few Calvert songs on there, but no credits to anybody... so I'm not
>sure what the deal is. But, I was referring to 'The Business Trip' first taking
>or altering his credits, and then three years later dedicating something
else to
>him, just to show how much they still appreciate his work... I worded my
>that's all. I'm afraid that this business will go on unnoticed over the years
>until Brock 'owns' everything he performs with HW.
>
>Christian

Okay, the credits for Future Reconstructions are correct on the disc. However,
it doesen't change the the altered credits on the aptly titled 'Business Trip'
(BTW, a great album either way). As for the reworked Quark, Strangeness &
Charm on there, the credits are correct no matter how much they reworked it
for this
album - so why alter the credits for 5 other songs?

Granted, Hawkwind are far from rich, but it's no excuse. I doubt Calvert's widow
or Simon House for that matter are rolling in money either, and I'm sure they
wouldn't mind royalties from these songs, no matter how little it is. It is
still wrong. I might have flipped my wig using some strong words here, but
I've known artists who have been ripped off or have artwork 'swiped' by others
without them seeing any money or getting credit for it.

Christian