HW: OVER CALVERT's DEAD BODY!!!!!

Christian Mumford christian.mumford at LOGIN.EUNET.NO
Mon Dec 2 03:57:40 EST 1996

>> (The Dream Goes On)
>> 1. If you guessed "The Business Trip" from 1993 and credit the song
>> Brock, you are apparantly right! However, it's really called "The
>> Iron Dream" and was written by Simon King and appeared on "Quark,
>> Strangeness & Charm" in 1977 - strange huh? Just slap some lyrics
>> about silicon chips in your head onto it, and it's a new song!
>
>perhaps the original iron dream was an interpretation of some lost
>classical piece?i doubt that simon house wrote the guitar,bass,and
>drums for this song.he only plays violin as far as i know.and since
>no violins appear in the re-write,aren't they playing the parts
>written by the other musicians?i mean if brock wrote the guitar
>work,which he probably did,and had davey,chadwick and ron write
>their own parts,i can see them not crediting house,and being legally
>safe. hw isn't exactly a huge money machine,so i think ya have to
>give them at least a little lee-way.i mean.i wrote one verse of lyrics
>for my friends band,and they expanded on it and rewrote it till it was
>nearly unrecognizable.still they credit me with writing it,which i feel
>is wrong.

They just slapped some silly lyrics on top of it. Nothing else has changed apart
from the title. Simon King (not House, BTW) wrote the original tune. Is there
two ways about it?

>> (This Future)
> i dont know. this is too me a very small deal.its just a few lines of
>drivel
>imo,and if i wrote it i would probably not care if someone else took
>credit for
>it.i dont think too much of it.

Well, personally, I consider it a great piece in the unmistakeble Calvert style.
How can you say that Calvert probably wouldn't care if they took his lyrics?
Have you spoken to him recently (break out the oija board, folks, we need to
straighten this out!!)

>> (Green Finned Demon)
>> 3. Okay, this one ain't hard. Of course it first appeared on the "Earth
>> Ritual Preview" EP back in the early 80's, and later on the "Mighty Hawkwind
>> Classics" CD. And, it was written by Brock/Calvert. But, take a look at "The
>> Business Trip" album again, and you'll find that it's only credited to
Brock -
>> boy, it must have slipped his mind completely! Hey, lay off the weed, your
>> memory's going!
>
>i dont know,but the 'earthed to the ground' album (1984) credits brock
>alone with writing this tune.and it just doesn't seem like calvert's
>style,to me.besides,
>did calvert ever actually write any of the music?i always thot he was a
>poet
>and performer,and never thot of him as a musician.?????

Haven't seen that. But didn't ERP EP come out in '82 or '83? On the Mighty
Hawkwind Classics comp. from '92, Calvert is credited as well.

>> (Do That)
>> 4. Now, isn't it funny, it seems something is going on here that shouldn't be
>> going on - because not only is this song called "You Shouldn't Do That" on
>> "X In Search of Space" back in '71, it's also written by Brock/Turner. Slip
>> sideways thru time to the future again, and you'll find out that apparantly
>> Brock/Davey/Chadwick wrote this song especially for us on "The Business
Trip"!

>again,these lyrics sound like brock.i don't know if its so.but if brock
>was responsible for the words,the tune is his.all that would leave to
>nik is the sax,which is not present in the re-write.????

The lyrics are slightly altered, the music the same. But, this one's not as
big a deal as the others. But, if Nik's sax was credited, shouldn't Anderson and
the rest of the band be credited too..? No, they were musicians, not song
writers in this case, so Nik must have done something other than just
strangling his sax....

>> (The Right Stuff)
>> 5. Ah, this one's easy! Bob Calvert again, obviously, on his solo album from
>> 1974, "Captain Lockheed & the Starfighters". But, unbeknownst to us until
>> 1993's "The Business Trip", Brock had a hand in its creation along with
>> Calvert as well!
>ya got us here,for sure.if hw played it w/out lyrics and put brock's
>name on it w/out calvert's,i dont think there would be a problem.i think
>probably calvert gave the
>band a poem,and they wrote music for it.im with ya on this one tho',cos
>these
>lyrics are unquestionably calvert.

So's the song. Check the original Calvert album.

>maybe im splitting hairs,maybe not.but the fact is,none of US really
>knows the deal on any of this,and becos of that,we should probably
>withhold judgement.i have personally seen far too much kindness and
>generosity from brock to think that he deserves
>any label such as "greedy".i think what we have here,is a "1500.00
>paycheck,
>and each of five members feeling that they deserve a 500.00 cut".
>i am no writer,so these thots may not make much sense to most of you.try
>to think about it and see if ya can understand what im trying to say.
>sorry for babbling,   rj

I still admire Brock in particular for keeping the Hawks going, and respect
him as an artist as well. I'm just curious about this matter. And, there's
nothing wrong with bringing this up. But nobody seemed to react to it, so
I wanted to grab some attention to it. I didn't mean to pass any judgement on
good old Dave, I just find this a little disturbing. After all, when I posted
the question why he re-titles old songs to him  on the HW website, he
replied 'for
copyright reasons'.

Christian