HW: OVER CALVERT's DEAD BODY!!!!!

William Duffy xl5 at IINET.NET.AU
Mon Dec 2 11:00:55 EST 1996

Christian Mumford wrote:

> Why is Dave Brock taking Bob Calvert songs in particular and slapping his own
> name on their credits? I'm referring to the aptly named Business Trip album.
> I presume Calvert's estate sees nothing of these royalties since the song
> credits have been altered to Brock and sometimes Davey & Chadwick as well. This
> disturbs me.  Sorry, Paul, I don't buy the 'blues tradition' argument here.
> What Brock (& co.) are doing smacks of greed and capitalism, and I'd go as far
> as saying grave robbing in Calvert's case! How the FUCK can one justify
> taking "Welcome to the Future" by Calvert, rename it to "This Future" and credit
> it to Brock/Davey/Chadwick? This really disturbs me. Several song-credits have
> been altered to Brock's favor on this album. Now, I do admire Brock both as an
> artist and for keeping Hawkwind going as long as he has, but this is wrong.
> Below is my original 'quiz' post - feel free to set me straight with a logical
> explanation - "The Business Trip" - indeed:

As an album, I was really impressed with it. However, I do feel the
ex-members should have been credited for their songs. I can see that
because the current lineup has re-interpreted the songs, they deserve a
credit, but surely songs such as "This Future" could have found room for
an extra name on the credits.

Most of the songs on "Future Reconstructions" bare no similarities to
the originals, yet the original writers are credited.

Maybe it's because they want it to appear to be all new material. I
mean, when you look at it, the only fresh, new recording to come out is
Alan's album!

William