BOC, SWU album

Mon Dec 2 12:54:01 EST 1996

> I only wish Elektra would do the decent thing and release Soft White
> Underbelly!

So can the BOC-L list initiate this?!

Oh, I wish someone could initiate this.  Prior to release of *Workshop
of the Telescopes*, Sony had hinted at future releases, and an articl in
ICE magazine mentioned that the demos were found in the Elektra vaults.
I don't know if that means Sony could get their hands on them if they
wanted (I assume if they did they could buy them from Elektra?), but
sales of WOTT have probably got them thinking there's no $$ in doing so.
On the other hand, I don't know if anyone (past or present) in BOC has
any negotiating power as far as Elektra is concerned.  Elektra paid SWU
and SFG for the demos, so my guess is that Elektra owns all rights to
them, and BOC owns none.  BOC is probably not in any financial position
to "buy back" any of the rights (NOTE:  excuse my ignorance in these
matters - the more I know about the music business, the more confused
I am; and in addition, I really have no idea what the SWU/SFG deals
with Elektra consisted of - other than the band was paid $$, they made
demos, and were dropped from the label).  Unfortunately, I assume that
since there's only a few handfuls of BOC fans who would definitely buy
this stuff, there probably doesn't appear to the affected parties (BOC,
Sony, Elektra, others?) that they will do anything but lose money in
doing this, so it may never happen...  :-(

Then again, maybe if BOC sees a resurgence in popularity, assuming the
new album really happens, well who knows . . .

But, my guess is that if you want the SWU/SFG stuff on a CD someday,
someone who has the material will need to bootleg it (and no, I'm
not advocating bootlegging -- I'm just saying I don't think this is
going to happen through the legal recording industry channels).

John