BOC first album

BREVARD Adrian R. (MSMail) ABrevard at SHL.COM
Tue Dec 3 13:10:00 EST 1996

Troy Said - So we have heard much of the first induction into HW from
the fans, so
how about BOC?

Cake!  In 1975 I saw BOC for the first time.  The Tour was entitled "On
Your Feet or On Your Knees"  Never had I experiecened such a concert.
Instant fan.  Bought OYFOOYK two days later and spun it for a solid two
weeks non-stop.  The Subhuman is the one track I use to introduce anyone
to BOC.  Sure there are more familiar radio ready songs for a casual
fan, but Subhuman qualifies as one of the greatest single tracks in the
bands history.  The first three albums followed shortly thereafter.
Everything up to Mirrors was purchased the year it came out.  Suffered
from some technical difficulties in the early 80's (can you say disco
and chicks in the same breath?) so only within the last couple of years
were the other recordings purchased.

John Swartz Said - Elektra paid SWU and SFG for the demos, so my guess
is that Elektra owns all rights to them, and BOC owns none.  BOC is
probably not in any financial position
to "buy back" any of the rights (NOTE:  excuse my ignorance in these
matters - the more I know about the music business, the more confused
I am; and in addition, I really have no idea what the SWU/SFG deals
with Elektra consisted of - other than the band was paid $$, they made
demos, and were dropped from the label).  Unfortunately, I assume that
since there's only a few handfuls of BOC fans who would definitely buy
this stuff, there probably doesn't appear to the affected parties (BOC,
Sony, Elektra, others?) that they will do anything but lose money in
doing this, so it may never happen...  :-(

Sad but probably all too true.  There is little point in selling this if
there is no revenue to be realized by anyone.  Elecktra probably wrote
of the expense of purchasing the demo's many years ago, anything they
get for selling the rights would now count as profit but what is a
reasonable price for this property?  Demos bound to have little
commercial value.  There is perhaps another way of doing this though.
Instead of buying the demos outright, buy a license to re-record the
songs or to distribute them.  A little upfront cash and a royalty driven
revenue stream may do the trick, again though what would be the point if
you only sold a couple hundred copies?

Al said -
"Would it help if you knew that in all the music of BOC, past and
=present=
he's the most minor player?"

You may want to add future to this also.  At Jaxx Eric sang one song and
timidly sat behind the keys all night long.  Not like him at all.  Eric
is either in the midst of bad health or the band is moving forward by
making Buck the front man.  Buck singing Cities on Flame was one of the
most unusual things I have heard in a looooong time.

AB

"Every Poet is a thief" - Masquerade, Surface of Pain