HW: old hat. was:OVER CALVERT's DEAD BODY!!!!!

J Strobridge eset08 at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Wed Dec 4 13:22:36 EST 1996

Carl Edlund Anderson writes:

> > 'allotrios',which,he said,was a latin word meaning something like
> > twin,or doppel-
> > ganger (i cant remember exactly,we were having a lot of fun).i have not
> > been able to
> > find this word or any form of it in a dictionary.
>
>      Mysterious, but I can find some traces.  Alius is a adjective and
> pronoun meaning "another" or "different".  Alio is an adverbial form
> usually meaning "to another place", but can also mean "to another person".
> Best word I could find to fit the sense though is aliusmodi, meaning "of
> another kind".

probably from Greek originally (the Greek word "allos" is other) and
could be related to the word allotropy and other such derivations.   I
can't find a decent dictionary to check tho'

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at tattoo.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk