Imaginos great v. mediocre, no bad timing

Ted Jackson jr. EL84 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Wed Dec 4 17:58:20 EST 1996

>>From AB:

> Steve Swan I believed paraphrased it but here is what Pearlman actually
> said (not that you weren+t right SS, I just typed most of this before
> seeing your qoute. 8^)
>
> "Too bad actually," Pearlman added.  "there+s a summary of the entire
> [BOC] career with Imaginos.  If they made Imaginos in the late +70s,
> yeah, I think they probably would+ve gone very, very far [on the
> strength of it].  A record like Imaginos, given that AOR radio was still
> really big, [then], and concept records really ruled AOR radio, it was
> an incredible mistake not to do it---just to get out from under me."
>
> Granted this is Mr. Pearlman+s version/recollections on the subject, but
> maybe he had a point.   A full length Imaginos done by the original
> lineup in say 1976-77 timeframe as a follow up to OYFOOYK, may have
> catapulted the band to the top of heavy metal market.I don+t want to
> initiate the dreaded -Why weren+t they bigger thread- but if you look at
> what and when BOC released (album wise) there is very little flow to the
> catalog.

I agree totally that Imaginos would have been a blockbuster for BOC.
Personally, though, I think the timing would have been best [blest
with hindsight, mind you] if it had appeared after Agents or
Spectres, simply 'cause BOC was still riding high on the success of
Reaper and Godzilla.  Given the popularity at the time [and the
accompanying laser light show] I think the fans would have embraced
such a project.  And their stage presentation at that time wouild
have been able to do the project justice, something that would not
have happened earlier on...
theo