BOC: Imaginos slotting & Magna carta Records

Craig Shipley craigs at PYRAMID.COM
Thu Dec 5 12:24:51 EST 1996

AB scrawled across me screen...

> "Tom Tully yelled:
>
> >ADRIAN, I NOTICED YOU WERE LISTENING TO THE NEW SHADOW GALLERY CD. HOW
> >IS IT AND WHERE DID YOU PURCHASE IT AT. I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR QUITE A
> >WHILE FOR IT. I LIVE IN CLEVELAND OHIO
>
> Carved in Stone has been out for a while.  Like most Magna Carta  albums
> you won+t find it at a Best Buy or Circuit City. You need a real record
> store like Towers or HMV, anyone that sells stuff you won+t hear on a
> radio.  Count me as opposite to Jerry and Craig, I think its pretty
> good, not earth shattering but not bad either.
>
> Then Craig Shipley said -
>
> >Tom,
>
> >I'm not Adrian, nor do I play him on TV. I picked up my copy of Carved In
> Stone from Tower  Records in Vienna VA. It is on the Magna Carta label
> and should be easy to
> obtain either thru  Tower (if you have one locally, that is) or from one
> of the many on-line
> services like Ranjit or >Wylie (AKA Bananamoon; try our resident
> CD-monger first).
> >IMHO, these guys don't hold a candle to the best American prog-rock band in
> a long time and that be Mastermind!  Try Mastermind IV: Until Eternity
> first and be
> blown away!!
> >
> >Craig Shipley
> >craigs at pyyramid.com
>
> Hannging out in my hood agian Shipley?  A friend was recommending some
> Mastermind, hmmm see if I can find it in a listening post.

Good luck in finding it, except maybe at the aforementioned Tower (which, BTW
I got the CD at about six months ago. Was in your 'hood last week, but no
Tower run... :-( ). I got my copies from the 'Net. Try hitting the Mastermind
WWW page, complete with sound clips and MIDI files, for what the band sounds
like. Great links, too!

> Craig said  "the best American prog-rock band in a long time and that be
> Mastermind!"
>
> Well depends on your definition of Progressive.  Dream Theater,
> Threshold and SG I put into the progressive metal movement.  For sheer
> progressive rock no one beats King's X my friend.  8^).

Prog-metal is Masterminds' territory. I hear some of the best Buck Dharma
guitar-solos in there, a heavy Keith Emerson influence on the guitar-synths
and overall sound and intelligent vocals ala BOC & HW. Never heard any King's
X to speak of...and I do kinda like DT, BTW...

      -m------- Craig Shipley   aka: craigs at pyramid.com
    ---mmm----- Pyramid Technology Corporation, a Siemens Nixdorf Co.
  -----mmmmm--- 1100 Johnson Ferry Rd. Suite 400
-------mmmmmmm- Atlanta, GA 30342  (404) 845-3404