HW: old hat. was:OVER CALVERT's DEAD BODY!!!!!

Max Wilcox s333271 at STUDENT.UQ.EDU.AU
Thu Dec 5 13:59:19 EST 1996

My own opinion of the Ron Tree/Bob Calvert comparison.
        I've never seen any similarity between the two people's deilvery of
their material. Only recently (ish) did I start to hear people making
the comparison. I realy don't have any particular liking for Ron's
singing. I do like some of his material, and he seems to be getting
better from the looks of Davey's solo album. Calvert, on the other hand,
has always impressed be beyond belief.
        The lyrics of the recent HW stuff has been ok, but nothing compared to
Calvert's era. I'd say that Alien4's real strength (in my eyes, at any
rate) lies in the atmosphere that the lyrics conjour up for me. Oh, and
jolly good music, too.
        I'd say that the comparison of Tree/Calvert, for me, finaly comes down
to their singing styles - Tree's high pitched, acid-influenced images,
as opposed to Calvert's new-technology, intelectual, humourous delivery.
        Well, they're my thoughts, anyway....

-Max Wilcox