BRAIN: Rodeo Reprise

Rudich, Robert A Rudich at VOLPE2.DOT.GOV
Fri Dec 6 03:03:00 EST 1996

John mused:

>The thing I always liked about "Name Your Monster" as an opener is the way
it
>starts, with a very light guitar and some subdued drums on the intro, and
>then everyone crashing in on those 3 chords, and then Deb belting out the
>first verse.  Very cool.  But, "Gun" is a nice up-tempo song that just
>MOVES - with some more raw vocals from Deb to boot.

Blame my love for motorcycling, it's not just how fast you go, it's how fast
you get to full tilt.  Imagine the relative quiet of an announcer going
"Welcome the Brain Surgeons"  with the band at rest rapidly shifting to loud
ripping guitars and pounding drums - just shoves you back in the seat.  My
first thought was that if this is how it starts, this is going to be a hell
of a ride.  "Name Your Monster" was the roller coaster climbing the hill
before going down, "Gun" starts right at the top with the people screaming.
 Sort of the inverse of the Trepanation is to BoH relationship for that
"era's" live sound to what was at the Rodeo.   I saw Zep when they opened
with "Immigrant Song."   Dark stage, then the guitar kicked in along with
the scream before the lights came up.   This struck me the same way.  Ya
gotta love it.

> How does "Locked Up" translate live?  With Deb's whispered vocals on the
CD, I didn't think
>this would necessarily translate well in a live show - I would think it
would be too subtle.

It translated very well.   I mentioned that studio is studied and polished
while live is pedal to the metal.  This is one of the songs I was thinking
of for that comment.  The vocals were stronger than the recorded version
with a great ominous tone during the verses (even a well timed scream in the
chorus).  The back up harmonies were really fine.  Keep in mind too that the
band was at full bore this whole time.

>>Gimme Nothing
>>My Civilization
>>Tender Was the Night (plenty of wah wah, Carl)
>>Operation Luv (included a tasty drum and bass break)
>Nice.  After the 2 heavy tunes, we lighten up (just a bit) and pick up
>the pace for a big finish.  "Operation Luv" is kinda orgasmic and probably
>left the crowd a little breathless...

You picked one of the great transitions.  "My Civilization" ends with a
climactic cymbal crash that Al grabs to kill, and as soon as he does that,
the wah wah starts for "Tender."

>Ooh - now I really wish I was there...  I didn't suspect "Overture"
>was a candidate for the live set, but I hope it stays in there at least
>long enough so that I get to see it live.  Was there any monologue by
>either Deb or Al before or after this song? (like when they did "Death
>Valley Nights" in Boston?)

This night was graced by 2 Deb monologues like that, before "Overture" and
"Laura's Plastic Swords."  Guess who was the butt of the jokes.   Actually
there was something after "Overture" too, but Deb's sister was the subject
of that one.

>>Red & Black
>Did Billy Hilfiger have to ask the soundman for permission?  ;-)

This was New York City, they don't need no stinkin' permission.  However,
Peter B. had to ask what key after Al and Billy started.

The Universal Steve groused:

>I'm sort of peeved at the chain of events that seems to be conspiring
against me, here.  I
>don't even know what a lot of the songs in the current set list sound
>like; I was planning on picking up my copy of _BoH_ at the show!

Well, you just have to blame Steve Swann for luck like that, no other force
can screw things so completely.

Rudy