HW: Elric and OJ

Stephen Swann swann at MINDVOX.COM
Mon Dec 9 11:22:50 EST 1996

Andrew Gilham writes:

> And you have to bear in mind that the early Elric stories are full of blatant
> (some would say crass) symbolism - e.g., impaling a woman on a sword is about
> as unsubtle a metaphor for the sex act as can be.

I've had a hard time reading Moorcock ever since I read his essay on
the subject of the Elric series, in _Elric at the End of Time_.

I just read _City in the Autumn Stars_, which starts out as a truly
wonderful historical adventure, with a very subtle and understated
alchemical / mystical subtext.  Then all of a sudden, it turned into
another WarHammer-style grotestque and overwrought dark fantasy.  I
was hideously disappointed.

Steve
swann at panix.com