HW: Elric and OJ

Andrew Gilham Andy_Gilham at MSN.COM
Mon Dec 9 12:14:19 EST 1996

Steve

>I just read _City in the Autumn Stars_, which starts out as a truly
>wonderful historical adventure, with a very subtle and understated
>alchemical / mystical subtext.  Then all of a sudden, it turned into
>another WarHammer-style grotestque and overwrought dark fantasy.  I
>was hideously disappointed.

The big problem with _City..._ is it was butchered fairly mercilessly by the
publishers, which renders it incoherent.  Though maybe the Millennium/White
Wolf _Von Bek_ omnibus restores the cuts?  (Allan?)

FWIW, my favourite MM fantasy is the preceding Von Bek, _The War Hound and the
World's Pain_, which is (IMO) mature but not decadent (which, I fear, is the
case with _Blood_ et seq.)

- Andy