HW: Elric and OJ

Stephen Swann swann at MINDVOX.COM
Mon Dec 9 14:24:55 EST 1996

skarsol writes:

> Stephen Swann wrote:
>
> > I've had a hard time reading Moorcock ever since I read his essay on
> > the subject of the Elric series, in _Elric at the End of Time_.
>
> this piece of trash should be smitten from existence.its like the
> cartoon version of the real thing.and i think that it is a real bubble-
> burster.   rj

Ah, I see you *have* read it.  ;-) But are you refering to the title
short story or the whole compilation?  I found the essay more
destructive to my appreciation for the Elric series than any bad short
story (or even the self-parody "The Stone Thing") could ever be.

Like I said, I've had a hard time reading Moorcock ever since.  The
fact that he seems to still lack a certain judicious restraint when
writing fantasy, even at this late stage in his career, doesn't help
any.  If you're wondering what I mean, any random excerpt from last
third of _City in the Autumns Stars_ should suffice for an example.

By the way, in response to Andy's comment about _The War Hound and the
World's Pain_, I agree - that was the highlight of Moorcock's fantasy
career for me.  Thus I expected great things from _CitAS_.  Sigh.

Steve
swann at panix.com