BOC: Guitarists and Spectres

Mon Dec 9 16:20:33 EST 1996

>Surely you mean AoF setting a standard in the commercial sense alone. Sure it
contains DFtR, the most viable mental link most people have to the band, but
beyond that (& maybe ETI) I reckon its a bit lacking in songs that really grab
you by the whatevers.  Spectres OTOH, contains what I'd regard as four
quintessential post-ST BOC songs (GAoL, DVN, ILtN, Nosferatu) - all of which
shine, even through the slight tarnish of being on an album with Godzilla
& Goin' Thru' the Motions.

Well, as far as folks in the music industry judgin *Spectres*, yes I
meant the "commercial" standard AoF set -- then again, I don't think AoF
was as "lacking" as you say.  Aside from DFtR and E.T.I., I really like
"Tattoo Vampire", and "The Revenge of Vera Gemini".  "Sinful Love" is
also pretty cool, along with "True Confessions" (although a little bit off
stylistically for what might be "classic" BOC).  But, I do agree with the
songs from *Spectres* you list - I just think that AoF had it's share of
great songs as well.

But certainly, AoF was a commercial success almost singlehandedly on
the strength of DFtR.

And of course, Spectres has one major knock on it - the much-criticized-on-
BOC-L-song, "Debbie Denise"

John