BOC: AoF & Spectres

Dan Clore clore at COLUMBIA-CENTER.ORG
Tue Dec 10 08:20:18 EST 1996

Okay, here's my song-by-song of Agents of Fortune and Spectres.

Overall for both: a little thin, not quite as heavy as I'd like.

_Agents of Fortune_:

"This Ain't the Summer of Love"
Very good.  Might be better if the heaviness of the opening was
maintained more throughout the song.

"True Confessions"
Well, ick.

"(Don't Fear) The Reaper"
Obviously, one of the best.  The quieter, "pretty" sound works very well
here with the sinister undertones.

"E.T.I. (Extra Terrestrial Intelligence)"
A personal favorite.  Great lyrics.  The weird sound in the chorus is a
master-stroke.

"The Revenge of Vera Gemini"
Once again, ick.

"Sinful Love"
This is kind of catchy, though it leans a bit to the "ick" side.

"Tattoo Vampire"
A personal favorite.  Good mix of the heavy and sinister.

"Morning Final"
Perhaps surprisingly, I like this one, even though it's really not the
sort of thing I usually like.

"Tenderloin"
Another good one.  Great use of Decadent aesthetics.  Once again, good
counterpoint of "pretty" music with somewhat sinister undertones.

"Debbie Denise"
Well, how many times can I type "ick"?

_Spectres_

"Godzilla"
Corny, but still cool.  Possibly I'm influenced by nostalgia over the
old Monster Matinee every Sunday afternoon.

"Golden Age of Leather"
Good, but I think this would have been a lot better if it was much
heavier.

"Death Valley Nights"
Good, moody piece.  A little thin-souding, perhaps.

"Searchin' for Celine"
Yet again, ick.

"Fireworks"
Nothing much here, not even an "ick".

"R.U. Ready 2 Rock"
Way too corny and obvious.

"Celestial the Queen"
Double-ick.

"Goin' through the Motions"
Ick again.

"I Love the Night"
Like "Reaper", one of the best.  Could have been a little better,
perhaps, if slightly heavier.

"Nosferatu"
A personal favorite.  Dark and sinister.

All in all, I'd say that on these two albums the good songs are very
good--among their very best--but the bad songs just stink.  Little
middle ground here.
--
Dan Clore

The Website of Lord Weÿrdgliffe: