HW: Elric and OJ

Stephen Swann swann at MINDVOX.COM
Wed Dec 11 11:22:58 EST 1996

skarsol writes:

> Stephen Swann wrote:
>
> > By the way, in response to Andy's comment about _The War Hound and the
> > World's Pain_, I agree - that was the highlight of Moorcock's fantasy
> > career for me.  Thus I expected great things from _CitAS_.  Sigh.
>
> hav'nt had the chance,only recently discovered that this was von bek.yer
> saying
> i shouldn't bother?         rj

Well, I'm not necessarily saying that.  The first part the book is
excellent, mature fantasy/adventure writing.  Some of his best,
actually.  But around the last third, it degenerates into a hideous
parody, exhibiting every one of Moorcock's worst excesses.  Bleah.

Funny, I had a similar experience recently, reading _The Difference
Engine_.  It started out as one of the best "alternate history"
fantasy novels I have ever read, and then degenerated (by about 1/3 of
the way through the book) into a hopeless, muddied mess.

Steve
swann at panix.com