HW: Elric and OJ

Andrew A. Apold mordru at MAGG.NET
Wed Dec 11 13:43:38 EST 1996

>Well, I'm not necessarily saying that.  The first part the book is
>excellent, mature fantasy/adventure writing.  Some of his best,
>actually.  But around the last third, it degenerates into a hideous
>parody, exhibiting every one of Moorcock's worst excesses.  Bleah.
>
>Funny, I had a similar experience recently, reading _The Difference
>Engine_.  It started out as one of the best "alternate history"
>fantasy novels I have ever read, and then degenerated (by about 1/3 of
>the way through the book) into a hopeless, muddied mess.

I too, thought for awhile it lost its way, but then that seemed to be
the whole point of the book, too.  I ended up enjoying in spite of
(or because of) this.  I felt it well worth the trouble of wading through.
Roger Shrubstaff               "I was corrupt before I had power!" - Random

Baron of Silverwater
Barony of Silverwater
Kingdom of the Burning Lands
http://www.magg.net/~mordru/silver.htm