BOC: Mirrors - Can You Dance to It?

Ted Jackson jr. EL84 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Thu Dec 12 08:33:53 EST 1996

>> From:          John A Swartz <jswartz at MBUNIX.MITRE.ORG>

> >Well, didn't Mirrors sell better than CE?
>
> I think it did - at least back then (probably still to this day - but I
> don't have sales figures).  The Goldmine article mentioned this -
> which kind of left BOC scratching their heads as the overall problem
> with Mirrors appears to be it's lightness, so BOC makes the heaviest
> album they had in several years, and it sold even worse... Maybe CE
> suffered simply from Mirrors' lack of popularity (i.e. fans "gave up"
> on BOC), or Columbia failed to promote the album, or other factors.  But

I think that Mirrors probably did alienate some fans.  No idea how
well Columbia got behind CE. Al?  But if that logic should hold, how
can we explain FoUO's success?

> yes, I believe Mirrors sold better.  Perhaps if there was one good single

Could be that Mirrors was an impulse purchase by fans who bought it
before hearing it?
theo