OFF: 777, 666

QUEST dcapehar at UTDALLAS.EDU
Fri Dec 13 14:46:18 EST 1996

A friend of mine had these things to say about the whole business of
Revelational numerology:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 14:05:42 EST
From: geoff l stevens <thehideout at juno.com>
To: [[[bunches of people]]]
Subject: Re: 777, 666

Martin wrote:
>The number 777 was regarded by the ancient Greeks as being the most
>perfect number, 666 being the most imperfect number.  They used letters
>as numbers in those days, so people's names could be significant!  The
>number 666 in the Book of Revelations, by the way, does not refer to the
>Devil, but to the name of a Roman governor who particularly persecuted
>Christians during the reign of Nero in the Middle East.  Obviously all
>those researchers for films like Omen did not do their homework
>properly!!!
>
>Martin

        Well, i would just like to comment and say this.  If one takes the
book of Revelation in a straightforward manner and interprets it with the
full body of the Scripture, and is consistent with interpretation-- then
there is no other person to whom this could be refering other than the
Antichrist who is possesed by Satan himself.  (Let me say that there are
some assumptions built into this, i.e. that one takes a dispensational
view of Scripture.  In my opinion the one that takes the 'whole counsel of
God' and makes sense out of it.)
        If it was Nero why didn't the author just use his name it was
history when the book was written?  It was clearly written in futuristic
language.
        As to the number 666, many people's names (the letters in Greek)
add up to the sum of 666.  If this guy was refering to Nero, i am not sure
whether his name adds up to 666 or not, but clearly if one reads
the book of the Revelation those events have not happened on the earth.
For example, the Greek r=100, o=70, b=2, e=5, r=100, t=300 so this all
equals up to 577. Hence Robert=577. Another example was Lyndon B Johnson
when transliterated into greek adds up to be 666.  He was not the
Antichrist [though some might think otherwise :) ].
        The book of Revelation was written about A.D.90's, which was well
after the time of Nero.  When you read the book you can easily see that,
though the persecution during that time was bad, it does not even come
close to the catastrophic scale of this book.
        i have no idea if this has made any sense but I hope it helps.

geoff