HW Recording List(s)

Johan Edlundh hawkjoe at EKA.ERICSSON.SE
Fri Dec 13 15:48:38 EST 1996

>Greetings,
>        My name is Brian. I just joined this list and wanted to introduce
>myself. Most everyone I know calls me "pink" because of my love for Pink
>Floyd. So if you see a posting from "_pink" it's me. ;^)
>        I have been listening to HW for about 12 years and have accumulated
>a fair sized collection. I am however curious as to "unauthorized" or
>"rare" recordings by HW and related. Are there any lists compiled that
>would give me an idea about what is available? Are their any of you
>interested in PF related recordings? If so and you would like to possibly
>do some trading you can visit my site (URL in sig file) and check out my
>list.
>        I look forward to gaining more info on HW and keeping in touch with
>the current state of things...
>
>later,

>       .     |
>__ ( ) | |\| |<
>   |                              Visit me: http://pink.rserv.uga.edu/

though I haven't got this mail yet - in this week of randomize silence on
BOC-l - here's a bootleg list:

(check out the BOC-l web archive at
http://listserv.spc.edu/archives/boc-l.html if you got problem with
receiving mails, but still wanna be updated [and kept sane])

*** THE LP's ***

Mind Journey
1977    LP      (Nebula - UK?)
Plain white sleeve, plain white label.
Only one acetate owned by Brian Tawn is known to mankind.
Part of a live performance in Glasgow - Apollo - 1975.08.10.

Live at the Watchfield and Stonehenge Festivals, 1976
1981/12 LP      (Festival HAWK1 - UK)
Original has "Hawkwind Roadies Erecting Scenery" cover.
Label says band is "The Hawks", credit goes to "Bob and the Hawks"
Rereleased in various covers and with various titles,
"Live and Buzzing", "Alive and Kicking" and "Live at Stonehenge".
Bootleg of Weird no. 103 tape. Recorded live in StonehengeFree Festival -
1977.06.22,
and in  Watchfield Free Festival - 1975.08.23.

Live at the Bottom Line, New York, 1978
1981/12 LP      (Festival FEST 101 - UK)
Black and silver 'Valium Ten' cover. Label says band is "The Lords", credit
goes also this way.
Also released in plain white sleeve with orange sheet pasted onto it.
Recorded live in New York - Bottom Line - 1978.03.06.

The Golden Void
1991    LP      (blank label, HWD-1 in runout - UK)
Sleeve says 500, but 1000 copies was made.
Taken from a radio show, recorded live at Glasgow - Apollo - 1982.10.19.
Back cover space photo stolen and reversed from King Crimson / Red.

Live at Stonehenge Free Festival
1992    LP      (RTV 12024,  blank label - Yug)
Pressed in two runs of 500 copies each, which makes a total of 1000.
Also known as "Solstice at Stonehenge".
Recorded live in Stonehenge Free Festival - 1983.06.22.

Assassins of Allah
1994/2  LP      (blank label, HWD3 in runout groove - UK)
Poor man 'inlay' cover with a 3" wraparound. Limited edition of 300 copies,
numbered.
Contains rare Hawkwind vinyl tracks. Cover art is a sacred Islam painting.

The Cyberspace Conspiracy
1994/3  LP      (no label, BET-1  L42675 in runout - US)
Sleeve says ltd edition of 250. Numbered. Plain white sleeve, with pieces of
paper stuck upon.
Tracks taken from the "Live Legends" Video.
Recorded live at Nottingham - Lenton Lane Studios - 1990.01.25 in spite of
the cover info.

*** THE CD's ***

Space Rock from London
1991/9  CD      (Genschman GENSCH 1002 CD - Lux)
4pg inlay. CD says Luxemburg, but Germany is more likely as origin country.
Live in London - Paris Theatre - 1972.09.28, in spite of the cover info.
This is the same recording that was on the legendary "BBC Transcription
Disc" - but this is remixed.

Orgasmatron
1992    CD      (Cargo CARGOCD22 - UK)
2pg inlay - flipside is blank. Sleeve notes. Limited edition of 500 copies.
Tracks are taken from various venues and dates from 1971 to 1992.
First album appearance of New Jerusalem and Starfarers Despatch.

Live - St.Albans 1979
1993    CD      (Waklyn Music WAKCD79 - UK)
2pg inlay - flipside is blank. Limited edition of 500 copies.
Recorded live in S:t Albans - City Hall - 1979.12.08, the same gig as "Live
'79"
but a poorer mix, and with a different track selection.

Kings of Speed, Lords of Light
1993    CD      (GEMA - Ger)
Black pic disc, or Blue and White pic disc. 2pg inlay - flipside is blank.
Sleeve notes says Recorded 1992.05.18, Latin Quarter, Detroit
but recorded live at Bochum, Germany - Zeche - 1991.10.08.

Dawn of Hawkwind
1994/2  CD      (? WSCD2075 - UK)
2pg inlay - flipside is blank. Limited edition of 500 copies. Roger Dean cover.
Tracks are taken from various venues and dates from 1972 to 1990.
First album appearance of 'Dawn/Sunrise' and 'Frisco Jam'.
Same cover as the "Third Ear Band" soundtrack to the 'Macbeth' film by R.
Polanski

Rock City
1994/4  CD      (Newton WAHCD613 - Lux)
4pg inlay - where foldout is blank. Limited edition of 500 copies.
Cover art is stolen from HotMG Tour Programme.
Recorded live at Nottingham - Rock City - 1993.11.16.
First album appearance of Sputnik Stan.

Space London 1972
1994/11 CD      (Live Storm 1626 - Ita)
Bootleg of a bootleg. Live in London - Paris Theatre - 1972.09.28.
The same CD as the "Space Rock from London" bootleg, but different name and
cover.

Theta Orionis
1996/7  CD      (? 199096 - UK?)
4pg inlay with pics of Calvert in psychedelia pattern. Pic disc.
Contains various live tracks, BBC session and rare vinyl tracks.

*** THE CD-Recordables ***

Nova Drive
1995/9  CD-R    (Discontent DISC20470 - US)
4pg inlay with blank foldout. Cover with white background.
Very few was released with a slightly different cover - light grey background.
Only CD-R that's made of short live green dye.
Tracks is recorded from various venues and dates, mainly from late 80:ies or
later.
The very small run of a total of 35 pcs depended on the appearance of "Terra
Mystica", which made Doug Smith roar a bit.

Damnation Alley
1995/12 CD-R    (Mystic Wankers Record - Ger)
4pg inlay with foldout blank. Just 7 copies made.
Recorded at Minneapolis - First Avenue - 1989.10.04

Timeless Paeans from the Ongoing Rituals of Space
1996/1  CD-R    (Nova Drive - US)
Numbered on shelf side. Standard CD-Recordable disc.
Tracks is recorded from various venues and dates, mainly from late 80:ies or
later.
Some in the early run was defect with a lot of sparcle, cracks and dropouts.

Secret Tepee
1996/4  CD-R    (? - Ger)
4pg inlay with foldout blank. Superb quality, but only 11 copies were made.
Recorded at Reading - University - 1992.05.19

Corridors of Flame
1996/5  CD-R    (Nova Drive - US)
4pg inlay with 'Golden Void' lyrics. Both disc and front cover is numbered.
Two different tracklist versions exist - with or without "Time for Sale"
Tracks is recorded from various venues and dates, over the whole career of
Hawkwind.
First appearance of Beast of Chaos and Waiting for My Man.

The A Files
1996/7  CD-R    (Nova Drive - US)
Rumours talks of "only 7 copies made".
Part of a show from Boulder - Fox Theatre - 1995.04.23.

those semi boots is left out:
The Friday Rock Show Sessions - Live at Reading '86   (92/3)
California Brainstorm   (92/7)
Undisclosed Files (white cover/LP - 93)

don't know if one shall count CD-recordables if they didn't have any
commercial success at all - as a collector I would like to at least have the
chance to buy a copy...

I know 4 other CD-R boots, entitled:
Madman on the edge of stage in the hall of the Hawkwind gig wandering about
astounding music & amazing sounds
Minneapolis, 1st Ave, MN, USA 4.10.1989    (yes, Damnation Alley!)
Stoned Hemp
Stored Odds
all made in 4 copies... - happy kollekting!

\\joe