BOC, tBS: (Imaginos) Overture, sevens...

Albert T Bouchard ir004728 at MINDSPRING.COM
Sat Dec 14 23:37:08 EST 1996

>I wonder how closely Overture resembles the original Imaginos Overture, but
>it certainly touches on most of the significant rhythms and melodies from the
>project.  Here's my breakdown:
>
>0:00  Imaginos
>0:45  I Am The One You Warned Me Of
>1:31  Del Rio's Song
>1:49  In The Presence of Another World
>2:22  ?

for the record that is also Magna of Illusion

>2:36  Magna of Illusion
>2:56  Les Invisibles
>3:15  Blue Oyster Cult
>3:44  Frankenstein
>4:03  Astronomy
>4:46  The Girl That Love Made Blind
>5:17  Imaginos

>The only other song with an odd meter is Laura's Plastic Swords, which also
>features a brief 7/8 pattern three measures long, repeated three times in the
>course of the song (right after Albert's verses and at the end).  What I'm
>wondering is, why didn't Albert use any interesting time signatures like this
>on Imaginos, especially given that patterns of sevens would have brilliantly
>echoed the story?

Laura's was written right around the time that I was working on Imaginos.
There is only one odd bar in the "offical-CBS" Imaginos. That's a bar of
seven right before one of the choruses in BOC.
Al