BOC: Mirrors - Can You Dance to It?

Albert T Bouchard ir004728 at MINDSPRING.COM
Sun Dec 15 00:02:55 EST 1996

>I think that Mirrors probably did alienate some fans.  No idea how
>well Columbia got behind CE. Al?  But if that logic should hold, how
>can we explain FoUO's success?

Columbia acted like a concerned parent of a teenager, at that time. I knew
what we were doing even if some in the band didn't. Forgive me if you've
read this before but:
Mirrors was taking the commercial idea as far as we possibly could. We
wanted to get on that same level as Fleetwood Mac, respected but big
sellers.

When that didn't happen I took a look at who we really were. We really
couldn't do that obvious thing. What we excelled at was quirky and
mysterious. The first thing we had to do was reestablish our credibility. I
decided we needed to make a record that was non-commercial and as heavy as
we could make, that might not sell but it would cement in peoples minds who
we still were. That record was CE. Some people (even some group members)
were disappointed that it didn't sell even as much as Mirrors but the
reviews were great, the fans at the shows raved about it. I knew it was a
sccess.

When we did FoUO we simply unleashed those commercial urges that we'd
bottled up for CE and it worked. I said "Told Ya So" to said band members
and got m'self sacked.
Al