BOC:666 was: 777 was: Re: BOC, tBS: (Imaginos) Overture, sevens...

Andrew A. Apold mordru at MAGG.NET
Sun Dec 15 11:30:22 EST 1996

>I think it's possible that this whole numerology thing was more meaningful
>in days of yore. For instance I just found this out that the names for
>numbers also stood for animals in Hebrew. There are just not that many
>words in Hebrew so many words do double or multiple duty and can only be
>interpreted in context. I imagine it was like that for many ancient
>languages.

The 666 thing wasn't anything special, it was a way for people to refer to
Nero without saying his name (and thus risking beign thrown to the lions
when speaking ill of him).  Asimov had an excellent article on the whole
subject awhile back.  It's what came from using the same characters for
numbers as well as letters, and one of the principle advantages of the
arabic numerals is that they are wholly unfamiliar in any concept except
the representation of numbers.  It is truly a waste of time.  Martin Luther's
name added up to 666, but so did that of several popes.
Roger Shrubstaff               "I was corrupt before I had power!" - Random

Baron of Silverwater, Kingdom of the Burning Lands (Amtgard)
http://www.magg.net/~mordru/silver.htm
(Andrew A. Apold)