HW: You Shouldn't Do variations

HERBERT119 at DELPHI.COM HERBERT119 at DELPHI.COM
Wed Dec 18 21:10:09 EST 1996

On 18-DEC-1996 08:13:14.8 BOC-L said to HERBERT119
   >HERBERT119 at delphi.com writes:
   >>    >L  4 a   Roadhawks
   >>    >L  4 a   Stasis
   >>    >L  4 a   (The Best of) Psychedelic Warlords
   >>    >L  4 a   Silver Machine CD
   >>    >L  4 a   Space Ritual Alive [remastered CD only]
   >>    >L  4 b   Hawkwind Anthology triple CD box set [Castle
   >Communications]
   >> Wait, wait, wait. I was SO sure that the version on Silver Machine
   >was a > different performance (though it is quite similar) than
   >Roadhawks, et al. > . Are we absolutely
   >> positive it's the same date??
   >I *know* everyone is waiting with bated breath for the outcome of
   >this....  8-)

_I_ was!

Sadly the Xmas spirits (several) are getting in the
   >way but I had time for a quick run-through and comparison last night.
   >It would appear you are indeed half-right 8-). From what I can tell, the
   >Silver Machine track appears to be a composite made up from two separate
   >tapes.   The first 3 minutes or so (up to the end of the vocals) is
   >identical (intro, feedback howl etc) to the other versions

I noticed that, but I figured they just had that rehearsed and managed
to do an almost identical take, and assuming they were just a couple nights
apart... I figured it was a different take because of some different
sounding synth/generator, but it seems like everytime this version shows
up, it's a slightly different mix...

but
   >immediately the vocals end then the Silver Machine one diverges into
   >some quite different version ending up with applause rather than the
   >burbles audible on Roadhawks etc. {well, that's what it sounds like!}
   >I wonder......
>As I write this  -  Silver Machine the CD is a semi-legit isn't it?   Or
   >is it?   I can't remember exactly - but what if the version of You
   >Shouldn't Do That on the Silver Machine CD is the *full* original
   >version and the one on *Roadhawks* etc. is an edited version from two
   >different shows?    The Roadhawks version certainly sounds better and
   >it would make sense for Brock to put the best bits of different
   >recordings together.   And I think all the other versions have been
   >lifted from Roadhawks (to judge by the burbles) - or at least the
   >master tapes.
   >Just a thought.
   >I'll explore further - but it could take a while.   Any other
   >suggestions?
   >jill

Maybe you have something there, though I'd like to think they use a song
completely. Segueing tracks is one thing...but different takes? Hmmm....
Well, Jill, now I'm just more confused than ever, but thanks anyway... :)

Chuck
`[1;36;46mRainbow V 1.19.4 for Delphi - Test Drive