BOC, BRAIN: Album similarities.

Thu Dec 19 09:59:13 EST 1996

I was recently looking over the BOC Goldmine article (for more chestnuts
for the FAQ), and some of the descriptions of the first BOC albums made
me think about the tBS albums.  There seems to me to be an interesting
parallel between the first 3 BOC and first 3 tBS albums.  For those of
you that have all 6 albums, consider the following:

Blue Oyster Cult (1st album) -- A somewhat eclectic blend of musical styles,
ranging from hard rock (Transmaniacon MC, Stairway to the Stars) to
psychadelic/jazz (Last Days of May) to country (Redeemed), to heavy metal
(Cities on Flame) to the weird (She's as Beautiful as a Foot).

Eponymous -- A somewhat eclectic blend of musical styles, ranging from
heavy rock (Name Your Monster, Time Will Take Care of You), to soul/funk
(Soul Jive), to folksy (Language of Love) to techno (Brain From Terra
Incognita) to the weird (Devil Got Your Mother, Mad Dude).

Tyranny and Mutation -- Often thought of on this list (and elsewhere) as
the genesis of speed metal.  One of the hard-hitting albums from the
70's with some of BOC's most kick-ass stuff.

Trepanation -- The Brain Surgeons' "heaviest" of the 3.  Very true to
their live sound, and lots of heavy guitars and drums.

Secret Treaties -- A bit more eclectic than Tyranny, but not as much as
BOC.  More emotion and content than the previous 2, but still overall.
Some of BOC's most popular tunes even to this day are on this album.

Box of Hammers -- More eclectic than Trepanation, possibly not quite as
much as Eponymous.  More emotion and content than the previous 2, but
still heavy overall (which is what I *meant* to say above about Secret
Treaties).  Remains to be seen if tBS's most popular tunes in the future
will be from BoH, but I think it's a good bet...

Comments?

John