OFF: New Virus Warning

Joseph Brooks jbrooks at CONNECTNET.COM
Thu Dec 19 20:50:17 EST 1996

At 05:02 PM 12/19/96 -0600, you wrote:
>Public Service time ladies and gents.  Be Warned.
>
>Subject:  Virus Alert
>
>If anyone receives mail entitled: PENPAL GREETINGS! please delete it
>WITHOUT reading it.  Below is a little explanation of the message, and
>what
>itwould do to your PC if you were to read the message.  If you have any
>questions or concerns please contact  SAF-IA Info Office on 697-5059.
>
>This is a warning for all internet users - there is a dangerous virus
>propagating across the internet through an e-mail message entitled
>"PENPAL GREETINGS!".  DO NOT DOWNLOAD ANY MESSAGE ENTITLED "PENPAL

Is this for real? The very next message in my mailbox is titled "PINPAL
GREETINGS!" I guess I'll delete it just in case but I wonder if there's a
safe way to look at it? Surely looking at it in a text editor wouldn't set
the bugger off, would it?
     _
  | | \   *jbrooks at connectnet.com                   | "What ever you do,
  | | <   *http://www2.connectnet.com/~jbrooks      |  take care of your
|_| |_/   *WALSTIB / Keep our Internet free!        |  shoes" -- Phish