OFF: New Virus Warning

J Strobridge eset08 at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Fri Dec 20 08:45:24 EST 1996

M Holmes writes:

> BREVARD Adrian R. writes:
>
> > Public Service time ladies and gents.  Be Warned.
> >
> > Subject:  Virus Alert
> >

> This is almost certainly a repeat of the "Hoax" Good TImes virus. There
> is no 'puter eating virus. Except if you unpack and run a binary or have
> Word or another package configured to run any macro in a message,
> there's no way to insert a virus into a text email message. With good

mind you I was hearing from a friend who uses a departmental system
configured for the use of the not particularly computer literate and he
was offered one of these viruses in a message once.   A tiny window
appeared on his screen with an incomprehensible Alert message and
offering two buttons to push - the OK one was highlighted and the
other simply said Cancel.  Clearly it was offering him the opportunity
to accept a package but he very sensibly pressed the Cancel button.

Apparently others did not  8-(

Well - that's the story he told me anyhow!

jill

> times, the "virus" was the hoax that there was a virus, and it spread
> pretty well.

and this is certainly true!

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at tattoo.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk