HW: Codex queries

J Strobridge eset08 at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Mon Dec 23 14:06:39 EST 1996

William Duffy writes:

> 2) Is the bootleg St. Albans CD of similar quality to the audio tapes???

yep - some of the tapes are probably better too.   Don't bother with
this CD - it's a waste of time, money and silver paper.

> This next part is not really a question (maybe more of a suggestion for
> Mike Holmes' Codex)
> 3) How much of a difference is there between various 'cut' (as well as
> remixed!) tracks. Are the lengths of various tracks and the original
> versions much different. How about adding lengths of each track to the
> Codex!

I'll sneak a comment in here since I'm sorta part-involved with the
creating of it!   A 'cut' means that a chunk has been taken out of the
version concerned.  We've usually tried to specify where but sometimes
it's just too complicated when bits are snipped off beginning, middle and
end.

A re-mix is a bit more difficult.   Generally the quality of the
recording depends much more on the *quality* of the equipment available
for the re-recording than on any remixing.    My guess is that during any
re-recording of the tapes for a new CD production re-mixing is usually
just a question of pulling a few sounds into the foreground that were in
the background.   Or it could simply be that the re-recording equipment
is more sensitive to (say) vocals than the original tape.   It's very,
very difficult to decide when you are just listening to endless
variations.    Because of such uncertainties then *MY* (and I stress it's
mine!) my definition of re-mix is usually when some *extra* sound has
been added like a wibble, or a warble, or a background bell, or a guitar
riff.    Anything else is just a difference in sound quality.

But, yes, and this is a constant appeal to anyone who wants to get
involved, please - if someone would like to add coments to each track
section about quality this would be much appreciated.    In fact this is
a discussion it might be well worth pursuing in the New Year once
everyone is back!

> By the way, the version of Robot on the first two Friends and Relations
> CD's are the same length. The version on the album appears to be the
> most complete version. The Codex says this version is a cut of the Weird
> Tapes version, I assume it's only about one second.

ok - could do you me a favour and email me the 'Robot' entry as *you*
understand it according to the style we use in the codex?   I'll be off
the boc-list for a week-ish but if you could email me direct:
J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk       then I'll check it out (if possible).
The problem is that the very first Flicknife F&R is one of the CDs I
don't have so I might have to wait until Mike Holmes gets back to check
his copy.    But send me your amended version of the 'Robot' entry and
I can look into it.

And a very happy Yuletide to one and all!

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at tattoo.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk