HW: The REAL Hawks

Max Wilcox s333271 at STUDENT.UQ.EDU.AU
Tue Dec 24 06:17:26 EST 1996

This is a little question that has come to me in a little bit of a
drunken stupor on this fine XMass eve.
        Who do people think are the REAL Hawkwind band at the moment? It is my
instinctual reaction to go for Nik Turner, as his "Past or Future" album
contained (what I believe are) the primary HW members, excepting Brock.
The sound is much more what I think HW should be, and they seem to have
more of the HW philosophy than do those Alien4 chappies. By philosophy I
mean doing lots of gigs, with lots of groovy things, lots of lights,
drugs, and that sort of thing (Notice I've got the lingo down...)
        This is not to say that I think that the "official" Hawks are bad, but
rather that the "true" spirit (of the age?) is embodied in Nik's troupe.
In fact, I quite like HW at the moment, but it's a bit like the
situation with Pink Floyd at the moment (ie. Are they the "real" Floyd?)
        This sort of discussion can become quite self-defeating, but I feel it
is my duty, as protectorate master of the fifth infinite, to get it out
in the open.
        What do other people think, regarding this?

-Max Wilcox

(PS. I had to get this sillyness off my chest - I've been waiting all
year to get that out...)