HW: The REAL Hawks

Andrew Gilham Andy_Gilham at MSN.COM
Tue Dec 24 08:04:04 EST 1996

Well, I grew up regarding the "primary" Hawkwind members as Dave, Bob, Nik,
Lemmy, and Simon K, and (at the time) felt that the post-'Lords line-up wasn't
*really* Hawkwind.

Then again, I support Crystal Palace FC (for my sins), and since Nigel Martyn
went off to Leeds, we don't have a single member left of our 1990 Cup Final
team.  Is it still Palace? :)

This is getting dangerously close to the realms of what marketing people call
"branding"...

Didn't Simon House once try and assert rights to the name "Hawkwind"?  And
didn't Baker try and steal the brand and tour as "Ginger Baker's Hawkwind" (or
was that just a nasty rumour)?  And recall how BOC's lawyers jumped on Joe
when his promoters billed him as "Joe Bouchard's Blue Oyster Cult" (or
something like that)?

Course, this can lead to ludicrous situations like "Anderson Bruford Wakeman
Howe", which sounds more like an advertising agency than a band.

Whatever!

Happy holidays,

- Andy

ObCDof theyear: Wayne Kramer - _Dangerous Madness_
Obrunnerup: Moby - _Animal Rights_