HW: The REAL Hawks

Max Wilcox s333271 at STUDENT.UQ.EDU.AU
Sun Dec 29 19:40:37 EST 1996

Martyn White wrote:
>         My point was that,  somewhere back in the hazy days of the
> late '60s, early '70s, the 2 artists came up with the idea of the
> band and decided to call it HAWKWIND.  So the subsequent arguments
> bore me to crap.  I yell "Who the fuck were Pinkee wivout Syd??
> Answer:  they did alot, but  they went to ""get famous mode" AFTER
> UMMA gUMMA, then "Dark Side of the Moon".
> MM      a

        This is uterly off topic, but I feel that I have to chime in here. Do
you realy think Floyd would have gone much further if Syd had stayed
with them as the front man (front thing?)?. I believe that the line-up
changes in Floyd have given it a little bit of spice (though with Roger
dropping out, they've lost it, though). They couldn't have gone on
playing Arnold Layne all their lives. The same goes for HW, too, of
course.
        Although I'm not bored to crap by the discussion, I can understand how
it could be, at least if everyone was saying "NO! -THIS- is the real HW"
etc. But, I think a big part of the discusion is about that which
constitutes a HW sound, etc. I'd totaly agree with John Majka's comment
about how they constantly re-make themselves. This is one of the best
points about HW for me, too. The one and only problem with this is that
it raises the possibility that they could re-make themselves badly. But,
I guess that's just one of the drawbacks of a non-static band. I'd
prefer that, than having a static, always the same sound....

- Max Wilcox