Oysters in Utica.

Ted Jackson jr. EL84 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Mon Dec 30 07:53:24 EST 1996

Well, A merry Christmas it was, at least it's aftermath, as I got to
see 3OC for the first time in many years.

The venue, funkilly named 'Cap't Trip's Rainforest Preserve' has a
smallish pit area and an elevated Main floor that extends the rest of
the length of the building.  It's a smallish bar [at least
considering that it books 'name' acts] but it was quite well packed
with spirited BOC fans that night.  Not shoulder to shoulder by any
means, but crowded enough to do the band justice.  I think they
probably did alright by the place.  The joint has its own sound
system [at least it looked like the band was using the house
system--sound was certainly good enough by my standards] so maybe
that's why BOC played there?  Chance to cut a bit of overhead?

Anyway, some local wanker opened up for them on acoustic gtr!  And it
was shitty material at that, more appropriate for a holiday Inn bar.
And he sucked at that!  But the crowd, apparently too soporific to
care, somehow allowed this shit-bag to live, and only got rude toward
the end of his hour-long set.  I was somewhat pissed, as I didn't
want to lose my edge listening to this turd, but things got better...

BOC hit the stage at about 1130.  [BTW, John, I know you're going to
tell me to look at the FAQ, but what is the name of the song that
plays while the band is taking the stage and getting their
instruments ready?  Kinda techno-sounding, very string based.  It's
cooler than shit.  Is it available anywhere?]  Anyway, they tore into
a very good Stairway, and didn't look back for 4 songs.  They follwed
with OD'd, and then Before the Kiss.  Memory's a bit hazy on the
actual order of tunes from this point, but songs included ETI, a new
one, which they didn't identify, but I'm thinking that it might have
been Harvest, simply because of some nighttime imagery in the words.
I couldn't hear the vocals very well.  Torgo, Jason, Brian, any help
on this one?  Whatever it was, it was excellent, as good or better
than anything they've done, a most pleasant surprise.

Other highlights included an inspired TCtLDoM, including an
introduction by BD, outlining the story that the song's based upon.
A hellfire rendition of Buck's Boogie.  Live for Me was the only
other new one performed, but I loved it.  Eerie, haunting vocals, and
gtr playing.  In a word, excellent, and again, worthy of a place with
BOC's best.  Then, toward the end, things got formulaic:  BFY,
Godzilla, Reaper.  Encore: TAtSoL and TRatB.  Show over.  Played a
little more than an hour and a half.  Surprise song:  In Thee, which
I could have done without.  It was introduced by a pretty bad
acoustic blues thing by Allen.  Totally out of character for the
band, and not very professionally rendered.  Oops, almost forgot the
obligatory COFWRaR.  Fine, fine job on that one, BD soloing his head
off...

Overall impressions:  I loved hearing OD'd again.  It's been awhile
on that one.  Disappointed that Lips, and Teen Archer didn't happen.
I understand they've been doing them lately.  The crowd was quite
receptive of the new songs.  I do wish they'd done more of them.
Crowd started to leave after Reaper.  I'm kind of surprised they did
an encore, as many people had left already.

Gear:  BD played Steinbergers, the ones with a Strat body.  Worked
very well for him.  EB used an ESP, and Allen had what I believe was
a Lone Star Strat.  Crate amps all around, the Blue Voodoo models,
and they sounded great.  BD was hooked up to a big rack, that he
shared with the bassist.  Too bad that the rhythm section appears to
be strictly hired help, as they are quite good.  The drummer was
somebady filling in.  They said his name but I don't remember, but
they said he's from Meatloaf's band.  He was great, and obviously has
listened to Albert quite a bit.  He really did a fine job for
somebody working on short notice.

Biggest disappointment:  EB is definitely in some kind of trouble.
He was almost reciting the words to the songs, and any parts that
needed power were backed up by BD and the bassist.  At least he sang
all the songs he was supposed to rather than BD.  But he was so quiet
and toned down as to be very disheartening.  And he didn't look very
good either.  Too thin, and very gaunt.  I hate to say it, but I
think Allen looked more robust!  Even his raps between songs lacked
his usual humor.  Maybe I'm reading in too much, and I sure hope I
am, but I was seriously worried about the guy, and before the flame
throwers heat up, remember that the guy's one of my biggest musical
heroes.  I'm genuinely concerned about him.

Final word:  It was great to see them in fine form.  I really needed
them to kick ass for me, considering some of the stuff posted lately,
I was afraid they may not have it any more.  Aside from very real
worries about EB, the band was excellent, and they played like it was
a football stadium and not a bar.  BD, if this is possible, has
gotten even better on gtr.  The new stuff is boffo, though it appears
that BOC is definitely becoming BD's band.  He did much more rapping
to the crowd tha he's ever done in the past, and he acts a lot more
like a frontman, at least at this show.  I was duly impressed.  I'd
rate it a perfect 10 apart from EB's problems.  As such, I can't
really rate the show, as EB is so important to the band.  I fear that
they're headed onto a new incarnation of the group.  Unless EB gets
back his fire, I don't see him being in the band much longer.  Could
BOC exist without him?  Should they evolve into something else?  Only
the band and its fans can really answer this one.  I loved what I saw
and heard, but the loss of EB's presence kind of cast a pall over my
enthusiasm.  Torgo, Brian, Jason--what was your impression?
theo