HW: The REAL Hawks

RJ SPRAWL at STARLINX.COM
Tue Dec 31 10:30:19 EST 1996

> > Well, I just found Steve Swindells' "Fresh Blood" on cassette for a
dollar.

> This album reminds me a lot of Bruce Springsteen's work (no, I'm not a
fan). The
> album is uniformally listenable, there's nothing that makes you cringe,
but
> nothing that is really stellar either. IMHO, it would be a good solid
album iff
> Huw Lloyd-Langton's guitar had been mixed in with a bit more signal. You
can
> faintly hear some nice riffs fighting the smothering effect of Swindell's
keyboards.

funny. i have never heard this album,but this is the second time i've heard
it compared to
springsteen. my friend has labeled it "failed pop."

> Anyway, it's worth at least a dollar! :-)

> Of the solo stuff I've aquired over the years, I think I'm most fond of
Nik
> Turner's _Xitintoday_. I never really liked Nik's sax noodling, but he's
a decent
> flutist, and there's a lot of flute on this album. Steve Hillage adds
some nice
> guitar work, and Miquette Giraudy nicely complements Nik's innate
spacy-ness. :-)
> The Egyptian motif is kind of fun, too.

this sounds like a good deal.it is part of a set with sphynx,isnt it?
i,like you, enjoy nik's fluting much
more than his sax. imagine if he had a real flute!
his flute is an intermediate grade instrument more suited for a student.
he played my wife's flute at last years philly gig. we had to wrestle him
to get it back!
my wife's is a pro,solid silver yamaha 581h,with open holes. nik wanted to
pull the plugs out,
but he was not aware of how difficult it is to play open holed.
but i tell ya, his skill with a flute is much better than it seems. the
shortcoming is in the instrument,
not in nik.
my wife says it is extremely difficult to switch between sax and
flute.something about "ambiture" <sp?>
its going from the vibrating reed in the sax to the completely different
method used in fluting.

> Happy New Year!!!!! :-D

likewise,to you and to all.
don't drink and drive,folks,please.
dont mean to preach,but its only one sentence. ignore it if you must.
rj