BOC-L Digest - 30 Dec 1996 to 31 Dec 1996

BREVARD Adrian R. ABrevard at SHL.COM
Tue Dec 31 16:22:00 EST 1996

From:    "Ted Jackson jr.

> Live for Me was the only other new one performed, but I loved it.  Eerie,
haunting vocals, and
>gtr playing.  In a word, excellent, and again, worthy of a place with
>BOC's best.

Am I the only list member who's heard them do X-ray Eyes Live?  Its
pretty cool song but it appears they have played it once (Jaxx Oct 96)
and then put it in the closet.  Wonder why.

>The drummer was somebady filling in.  They said his name but I don't
remember, but
>they said he's from Meatloaf's band.

A new drummer?  Hold that thought.

>Biggest disappointment:  EB is definitely in some kind of trouble.
>He was almost reciting the words to the songs, and any parts that
>needed power were backed up by BD and the bassist.  At least he sang
>all the songs he was supposed to rather than BD.  But he was so quiet
>and toned down as to be very disheartening.  And he didn't look very
>good either.  Too thin, and very gaunt.  I hate to say it, but I
>think Allen looked more robust!

This is really disheartening.  When I saw them Eric just sat at the keys
all night, barely said a word and only sang on Stairways.  Buck did all
the vox that night. Duriong the "zilla drum solo he introduced the
drummer by one name and then called him Chuck Burgi then something else
after it was completed, nobody in the palce was quite sure who was
drumming.  Lots of headscrathicng that night.  Hey I love Eric too but
something appears to be very wrong with him.  Eric a couple of years ago
looked amazing for a guy in his 50's, enough to make younger men
jealous.  He's always been lively and out there so this is really
troublesome.  Hope he's ok but if he has some physical problems or
illness I 'd rather see the band tour without him temporarily than
permanently.

>Final word:  It was great to see them in fine form.  I really needed
>them to kick ass for me, considering some of the stuff posted lately,
>I was afraid they may not have it any more.  Aside from very real
>worries about EB, the band was excellent, and they played like it was
>a football stadium and not a bar.  BD, if this is possible, has
>gotten even better on gtr.  The new stuff is boffo, though it appears
>that BOC is definitely becoming BD's band.  He did much more rapping
>to the crowd tha he's ever done in the past, and he acts a lot more
>like a frontman, at least at this show.  I was duly impressed.  I'd
>rate it a perfect 10 apart from EB's problems.  As such, I can't
>really rate the show, as EB is so important to the band.  I fear that
>they're headed onto a new incarnation of the group.  Unless EB gets
>back his fire, I don't see him being in the band much longer.  Could
>BOC exist without him?  Should they evolve into something else?  Only
>the band and its fans can really answer this one.  I loved what I saw
>and heard, but the loss of EB's presence kind of cast a pall over my
>enthusiasm.  Torgo, Brian, Jason--what was your impression?
>theo

Maybe it is becoming BD's band which isn't all that bad.  Buck is like a
great wine, he seems to get better every year and could certainly carry
the load.  They don't have the same image without Eric, his shades and
leather prancing around the stage and of course the sinister vocals are
all out the window (most of it was gone when Al left anyway) but BD
could carry this or any other band.  Whatever's bothering Eric,
hopefully is only temporary.  Here's wishing good health to him and his.

lil' ab

"Pay to get in, Pray to get out."