Noise Hype

Maxine Wesley mxw at DMU.AC.UK
Thu Feb 1 04:35:06 EST 1996

> 1. There is a book written by John Gill, entitled 'Hype!', which
> I obviously had to read as it had the tag lines 'sex and drugs and
> alcohol' 'the making of a band' and 'a bad trip you can call your own'.
> Well it is > a dreadful book, unsure of what it wants to be.

I have read this atrocious book too...the best thing (possibly) about it
is the front cover... so learn from our mistakes and save your money for
some new HW CD's.

> 'A DJ had set up his decks in a room off the hall, and was currently
> playing early Hawkwind records at near deafening volume', after a while
> the journalist says
> 'Let's go for a walk. Hawkwind records make me nervous.'

Why do people always associate HW with deafening or loud music - I was
watching 'The Generation Game'... [well it was on and I hadn't gotten round
to switching it off, honest]. The competitors were miming to pop tunes
and their partners who were wearing headphones to blank out the music
the audience could hear had to guess the artist/song. Jim Davidson, the
host said "Don't worry folks they can't hear a thing that's happening in
the studio 'coz they're listening to Hawkwind at 9,000 decibels" ... cue
audience titter..

Well if all these references to HW at high volume isn't Hype then I don't
know what is.. HW are one band that |I can listen to irrespective of
volume (the neighbours heave a huge sigh of relief)

Maxine

  The night shall be filled with music
  And the cares that infest the day            mxw at dmu.ac.uk
  Shall fold their tents like the Arabs        http://www.dmu.ac.uk/~mxw/
  And as silently steal away.                  Honda CB250 RS
                    H.W. Longfellow