Noise Hype

Chris Bates C.D.Bates at SHEFFIELD.AC.UK
Thu Feb 1 04:51:43 EST 1996

Maxine wrote:

> Why do people always associate HW with deafening or loud music - I was
> watching 'The Generation Game'... [well it was on and I hadn't gotten round
> to switching it off, honest]. The competitors were miming to pop tunes
> and their partners who were wearing headphones to blank out the music
> the audience could hear had to guess the artist/song. Jim Davidson, the
> host said "Don't worry folks they can't hear a thing that's happening in
> the studio 'coz they're listening to Hawkwind at 9,000 decibels" ... cue
> audience titter..

Ah but look on the positive side of this. Firstly Jim Davidson
(or more likely his gag writer) has heard OF Hawkwind, who let's
face it are pretty obscure for a band that's been around for 25+
years. And maybe, just maybe, some kid browsing in a record store
will see the name and make a spontaneous purchase just because
they've heard of the band. (Incidentally this is where all those
shoddy rip-off compilations are a *problem*. If said kid buys one
of those it could be the last Hawkwind they ever buy)

Secondly people associate rock and roll, debauchery and the
destruction of the neighbourhood with VOLUME. When anyone free-
associates Hawkwind and volume they're thinking that HW are the
ultimate expression of rock and roll in Britain today (maybe.... :-)

And what's worse HW = volume or HW = a bunch of sad old hippie
bastards who would benefit from a spell in the army!

Chris