HW: 2 compilation tape projects

M Holmes fofp at CASTLE.ED.AC.UK
Thu Feb 1 11:33:50 EST 1996

I can remember an early evening concert at Stonehenge Festival, probably
1982 or 1983 since the gig was definitely in the back (top) field rather
than the side field opposite the Stones where it was held in 1984.
Anyway, Nik went into one of his long rants (something about Uncle Sam
being on heroin?) and Dave seemed to take exception. After that they
couldn't agree what to play next and I believe that they both started on
different songs. Anyway, there was a tussle between them onstage and I
don't know what happened after that. It was the worst Hawkwind gig I've
ever been at and the only one I left. I seem to remember there was a
whole lot of hassle at the start too because everyone had been sitting
down for the bands before Hawkwind and those still sitting at the back
started chanting to get the fans at the front to sit down too. The band
tried to persuade folks at the start of the gig, but gave up.

Maybe someone who has the tapes will recognise this?

OTOH, Stonehenge '81 was a really good gig and we had a laugh with the
band after it. Does anyone have a tape of that one?

FoFP