OFF: Gong

Frank Weil frankw at COMM.MOT.COM
Thu Feb 1 11:39:06 EST 1996

Chris Bates wrote:
> I saw an advert in the paper for a Gong gig in Manchester
> in April. Can't remember the date though. Is this a one-off
> or are they touring, and who is in the band, and is it
> really Gong rather than some variation such as Shapeshifter?

I have an ad in front of me for a Gong show in Chicago on March 10.
The ad say "The original 'classic' GONG line-up, reformed for this gig
only".  The list of musicians is Daevid Allen, Tim Blake, Mike
Howlett, Gill Smyth, Pip Pyle, Steffi Sharpstrings, and Didier
Malherbe. The show is at a pretty small club (Cubby Bear) across the
street from Wrigley Field.

I know I should have been paying more attention before, but can
someone *please* give me a quick description of their music.  Is this
list of players really the original line-up and is that a big deal?

Many thanks,
Frank