BOC: A few thoughts on Club Ninja

Rob Maerz ROBODUDE at AOL.COM
Thu Feb 1 12:42:03 EST 1996

>Also, had *Club Ninja* had a few stronger numbers in it (perhaps "Wings
>of Mercury" would have strengthend it), we wouldn't think as badly of it.
>Take, for example, the song "Shooting Shark" - would you have liked the
>song less if it had been on *Club Ninja*, rather than *Revolution By
>Night*?  It seems to me to fit into the overall sound of *Club Ninja*
>better, but my guess is that it would have been less liked by BOC fans
>if it had been on that album, because it is a mellow tune and would
>have probably made that album even more commercial-sounding than it
>already was.  Hey here's a thought - what if something like "Teen Archer"
>appeared on *Club Ninja*?

I think any or all of those 3 songs would've strengthened Club Ninja...but
they wouldn't've sounded like the songs we know, they would've had that Club
Ninja sound to 'em....every BOC album has its own sound, and that's why as a
whole CN flopped...even a heavier CN tune like Shadow Warrior lost some
weight to accomodate the sound of that album...

>I think my point is that the problem with the album in most BOC fans
>minds is that it doesn't work for them as a "whole" - there are some
>great moments on the album, but as an entity it doesn't feel like what
>we know and love as BOC.

as an entity the album is a downright flop...BOC was seeking the commercial
success of other lightweight bands and for them it didn't work...this is a
period in BOCs history I'd like to forget (see the Rick Dees interview and
performance to see a "pretty" BOC!)...

>John (who might be one of the few people that thinks "Beat 'em Up" is
>a decent song)
>
>PS:  One more thought -- alot of bands, when their popularity begins to
>wane, "return to their roots", and get back to the sound and style that
>made them popular to begin with.  Perhaps things might have gone a bit
>differently for the band had they done this rather than trying to be
>more "commercial" (I think again what might have happened if *Imaginos*
>could have been done, and done right, after *The Revolution By Night*,
>or better yet, after *ETL* . . .).

I think Beat 'Em Up is a stoopid song, lyrically...the music isn't so bad...

many bands return to their roots, and this is evident with the "new" material
BOC has been playing live...this may support my theory of the control of
power in the music biz between band and record co...if you sell records, you
can do what you want...if you don't sell, you gotta bend for the record co...

ROBO