OFF: Gong

Chris Bates C.D.Bates at SHEFFIELD.AC.UK
Thu Feb 1 12:07:55 EST 1996

Frank wrote:

> I have an ad in front of me for a Gong show in Chicago on March 10.
> The ad say "The original 'classic' GONG line-up, reformed for this gig
> only".  The list of musicians is Daevid Allen, Tim Blake, Mike
> Howlett, Gill Smyth, Pip Pyle, Steffi Sharpstrings, and Didier
> Malherbe. The show is at a pretty small club (Cubby Bear) across the
> street from Wrigley Field.
>
> I know I should have been paying more attention before, but can
> someone *please* give me a quick description of their music.  Is this
> list of players really the original line-up and is that a big deal?

By NO stretch of the imagination is this the classic Gong. That would
replace Steffi Sharpstrings with Steve Hillage on guitar and Pip Pyle w
ith Pierre Moerlain behind the drums. The version now touring is the
line-up which played at the truly wondrous 25th Birthday party in
London last year. BTW the live cd of that show is well worth getting
(except for Fat Thoms intro). That line is very good except that Steffi
doesn't come close to replacing Steve (I bet he's cheap though :-)

The music is space-jazz :-) Kind of trippy jazz, easy listening but
with a definite rock edge, Gong are/were unique. And before anyone
tries to make the comparison Ozric Tentacles do NOT sound like Gong.

Anyway go along - what have you got to lose?

BTW at the Birthday Party they said that Moerlain was unable to play
because of a contractual obligation to perform Evita in Sweden. Anyone
know what this years excuse is?

Chris