BS; What about Sally

Rudich, Robert A Rudich at VOLPE2.DOT.GOV
Thu Feb 1 15:05:00 EST 1996

The song "Sally" has intrigued me from the 1st time I heard it live about a
month ago.  The lyrics are great and raise a question in my mind.  The BS
version is what really intrigues me since it's sung by Deb.   Sally is
fooling around, that's clear.  But is it sung from a male or female
perspective and is Sally messing with another man or woman?   The ambiguity
of Lola is compounded here.   I've listened to the euphemisms and they could
go either way (some may be more female).  There is one line that seems to
tip it towards her messing with a guy.   Since it was written in BOC days,
it would seem to be from a male perspective, but recent trends and Deb's
convincing vocals change that for the BS version.   Any thoughts?

Rudy