OFF: Gong

Jon Browne Jon at COMICS.DEMON.CO.UK
Fri Feb 2 05:24:17 EST 1996

In your message dated Thursday 1, February 1996 you wrote :

> I have an ad in front of me for a Gong show in Chicago on March 10.
> The ad say "The original 'classic' GONG line-up, reformed for this gig
> only".  The list of musicians is Daevid Allen, Tim Blake, Mike
> Howlett, Gill Smyth, Pip Pyle, Steffi Sharpstrings, and Didier
> Malherbe. The show is at a pretty small club (Cubby Bear) across the
> street from Wrigley Field.
>
> I know I should have been paying more attention before, but can
> someone *please* give me a quick description of their music.  Is this
> list of players really the original line-up and is that a big deal?
>
> Many thanks,
> Frank
It's close enough. Steffi's Here & Now's guitarist really. The "classic" line-up
guitarist is Steve Hillage, but Steve's moved on and does his own thing with
System 7 and produces #1 L.P.'s like the new Charlatans offering. Gong aren't a
million miles from Hawkwind, but more jazz influences. Also the subject matter
is usually something about "pot-head pixies riding round in tea-pot taxis etc."
Unmissable, really. Oh and *very* psychedelic. ;->

Jon Browne