HW: '81 gig dates

M Holmes fofp at CASTLE.ED.AC.UK
Tue Feb 6 08:00:51 EST 1996

Martyn White writes:

> >Definitely the evening. I accidentally started a riot at that one :-(
> >
> >I even got written up in NME :-)
> >
> >> Bernhard
> >
> >FoFP
>
>         Come on, Mike, don't leave us hangin'.  Tell us more!

The basics of it are that we were right down the front leaning against
the metal pyramid that was the stage. The Hawks were playing a few feet
above where we were standing. Anyway, Brock announced that he had a
lasers and fireworks show for the encore. After an hour of their set
however, they were told to come off so that New Order could set up and
play. There was a limit to how late the last band could play. Not
unnaturally some of us were disappointed and started up a "hawkwind,
Hawkwind..." chant. In accompanyment, I started banging my cider flagon
against the metal pyramid.

On realising that this made a good punctuation to the chant, everyone
else at the front did the same. God alone knows what it must have
sounded like *inside* the pyramid base where the band and others were.
Imagine putting a biscuit tin over your head and having Simon King play
drums on it.

After about 20 minutes, the organisers must have got together several
site crew and security who came rushing round the front of the pyramid
to encourage us to desist. I beat a hasty retreat at this point and was
ultimately lured towards a van from which the strains of "Blake's New
Jerusalem" were wafting and people cirled round a fire were passing a
strange pipe between them.

When New Order came on I ended up lying under an eletricity pylon
watching the lasers glint off the metal of the structure before retiring
to the tent and a friendly welcome from my then SO.

Rather a nice evening all in all.

I'm still pretty convinced that it was a Sunday but I do have the
official CND tape of the event so I'll check the date on the cover.

> Martyn

FoFP